COVID Operating Procedures
January 8, 2021 - UPDATE
The HUDS team is eager to welcome you (or welcome you back!) to campus for the Spring Semester with dining service at Annenberg Hall and all Houses, for the traditional three meal periods per day (Brain Break snacks will be available for pick-up at dinner). All dining halls will open starting with breakfast on Wednesday, January 20 (for residential students and staff). For students moving from winter housing to spring housing on Tuesday, January 19, an initial day's worth of meals will be available for pick-up at the Smith Campus Center testing site (between 10am-2pm).
As you arrive on campus, you will complete your initial COVID test at your designated testing site, and then pick up a kit of meals at that same location. These meals should carry you through the roughly 24-36 hours while you await your first COVID test results. In addition to the package of entrees you pick up, you will find your room pre-loaded with water, snacks and fruit to further support you during your preliminary quarantine.
Once you receive your first negative COVID test, you may then go directly to the dining hall for all other meal service. Meals will include hot entrees, a selection of sides, salads, soups and chilis, desserts, beverages and snacks. In order to maintain safe distancing among the staff during preparation and service, the menu has been reduced, but will still have a wide variety of choices. As always, menus with ingredient and nutrition information will be online and supports are in place for individuals with food allergies and special dietary needs.
All food will be packaged for takeaway. There will be no dining in the seating area of the dining hall, out of an abundance of caution given the evidence of virus transmission in indoor restaurants.
- How will service take place?
- The dining hall will look a little different, as we take precautions to limit high-touch surfaces and cross contacts. All guests will be asked to complete Crimson Clear before coming into the dining hall, to wear face coverings and to sanitize hands at entry. We will also have designated entry and exit points, and one-way traffic in the serving area. Staff will serve students from the available choices (no open buffets/self-service at stations like the entree line, deli line, salad bar; all items served by staff or pre-plated and pre-portioned).
- Will we still have the same number of meal options?
- No, because of the need to ensure that our staff are safely distanced in our kitchens for meal preparation, and because self-service is currently prohibited, the menu has been scaled down. We encourage you to maintain communication with your dining hall team, who can help you find foods to support your needs and tastes if there's a day when nothing on the menu meets your needs.
- Will the grill be open?
- No, this station will be used for service.
- How will I manage allergies or special dietary needs?